Reading Renaissance Incentive Programs
More Reasons to Read
December 02, 2008
Reading is so important, and here at Ell-Saline Elementary, we are doing all we can to help the students not only read well, but want to read. Everyone is motivated in a different way so for those who like a little competition and a prize or two along the way, I've listed the schoolwide incentive programs. Of course classroom teachers also provide encouragement and rewards on a grade level basis.
The students earn Accelerated Reading points each quarter as part of their comprehensive reading program. The school also offers privileges and prizes to help the children celebrate their growing reading skills. Quarterly Incentives may include:
- Students may earn a McDonalds Certificate good for a free meal upon reaching their individual point goal and maintaining a comprehension average of 85% or above.
- Students can become members of the 125, 150, 175, and 200 point clubs as points accumulate for the year. Comprehension must also average 85% or above for the year. Pictures of point club members are displayed throughout the school year.
Yearly Incentives which may be earned include:
- Reading Celebration for students in grades 1 and 2 is offered in the Spring of the school year. The celebration includes indoor and outdoor games, snacks, and prizes. Staff and volunteers work together to make this a great reward....plus it's a half day out of the classroom!!!
- Reading Celebration for 3rd through 6th grade students is for those who achieve their individual reading goals and maintain a comprehension level of 85% throughout the year. This celebration includes a variety of activities and games, food, and lots of fun.
- Each student can earn a grade level prize for achieving their individual reading goal PLUS additional points equaling half their point goal. Comprehension for this prize must be at 87%. (Goal and a Half)
- Each student can earn additional points to earn the Party in the Park. This event includes a ride to the park, pizza and pop, play time, and an ice cream treat.Each grade level has a set point level to achieve for the Party in the Park.
- Top Point Earners are recognized from each grade level at the end of the year with certificates given. Medals and certificates are given to the top three point earners of the school.
Of course, the students read for learning and enjoyment, but it doesn't hurt to get some recognition and prizes now and then.